Things to Remember
- Eating one or two servings of fish weekly can reduce the risk of a range of diseases, from childhood asthma to prostate cancer.
- Fish is low in fat, high in protein and an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids.
- Healthy ways to enjoy fish include baked, poached, grilled and steamed.
- Avoid fish high in mercury such as shark, swordfish (broadbill) and marlin.
- Pregnant women, women planning pregnancy and children up to six years of age should choose the fish they eat carefully.
- People who regularly eat fish have a lower incidence of depression.
- Fish may help people with diabetes manage their blood sugar levels.