Fish Varieties Rich In Omega 3 Fatty Acids
The recommended daily amount of omega 3 fatty acids from fish is 200-600mg and from plants it is 1-2g.
The following are approximate amounts of omega 3 fatty acids per 60g serve of varieties of fish:
- Salmon (Fresh Atlantic) - 1,200mg
- Smoked salmon - 1,000mg
- Canned salmon - 500mg
- Sardines - 1,500mg
- Trout (fresh rainbow) - 350mg
- Gemfish - 300mg
- Blue-eye, shark (flake), salmon, squid - 250mg
- Scallop or calamari - 200mg
- Sea mullet, abalone - 170mg
- Canned tuna - 145mg
- Orange roughy or sea perch - 7mg.
The following are approximate amounts of omega 3 fatty acids per 60g serve of other foods:
- Two slices of fish oil enriched white bread - 27mg
- Lean beef or lamb - 40mg
- One fish oil enriched egg - 200mg
- Fish oil enriched margarine (10g) - 60mg
- One regular egg - 40mg.
- The best source of omega 3 fatty acids is fish, rather than fish oil capsules.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2016, February 25). Advantages of Eating Fish Foods - Fatty Acids . Medindia. Retrieved on May 17, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fishfood_omega.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Advantages of Eating Fish Foods - Fatty Acids ". Medindia. May 17, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fishfood_omega.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Advantages of Eating Fish Foods - Fatty Acids ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fishfood_omega.htm. (accessed May 17, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Advantages of Eating Fish Foods - Fatty Acids . Medindia, viewed May 17, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fishfood_omega.htm.
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
1 year experience
Online mode, Porur