There are eight different types of thread-like nematodes that cause filariasis. Most cases of filaria are caused by the parasite known as Wuchereria bancrofti.
Depending on the area which the worms affect, filariasis is classified as -
- Lymphatic filariasis (Elephantiasis) – which affects the lymphatic system, including the lymph nodes.
- Subcutaneous filariasis- which affects the subcutaneous layer of the skin.
- Serous cavity filariasis- which affects the serous cavity of the abdomen.(2✔ ✔Trusted Source
Go to source)
Filariasis is not a life-threatening infection but it can cause lasting damage to the lymphatic system. The disease causes no symptoms in the initial stage. Therefore, most people initially are not aware that they have filariasis. Lymphedema with thickening of the skin and underlying tissues is the classical symptom of filariasis.
Filariasis is usually diagnosed by direct demonstration of the parasite in the nocturnal blood sample or skin specimen.
While medicines like diethylcarbamazine (DEC) are available to treat filariasis, the gross swelling of the leg makes a person look noticeable and ugly. Hence, it is better to protect from the bites of filarial-spreading mosquitoes by using mosquito repellent creams, mats, coils, aerosols and prevent breeding of mosquitoes with better practice of hygiene and sanitation.
- Filariasis - Wikipedia - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filariasis)
- Lymphatic Filariasis - (https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/lymphatic-filariasis)
- Blood Lymphatic Disease - Filariasis - (https://www.nhp.gov.in/disease/blood-lymphatic/filariasis)
- Filariasis: Symptoms, Causes and Management - (https://www.aimu.us/2017/07/15/filariasis-symptoms-causes-and-management/)
- Filariasis - (https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/filariasis/)
- Filaria - (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/immunology-and-microbiology/filaria)
- Parasites - Lymphatic Filariasis - (https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lymphaticfilariasis/treatment.html)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2019, November 05). Filariasis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment , FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 09, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/filariasis.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Filariasis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment , FAQs". Medindia. Dec 09, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/filariasis.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Filariasis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment , FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/filariasis.htm. (accessed Dec 09, 2023).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2019. Filariasis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment , FAQs. Medindia, viewed Dec 09, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/filariasis.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
Skynn Care, New Delhi
4 years experience
15 years experience
6 years experience
KGH, Andhra medical college, KGH, Visakhapatnam