Last Updated on Jul 06, 2018


Fibroid in Uterus also called uterine fibroid, uterine leiomyoma, myoma, fibromyoma, leiofibromyoma, fibroleiomyoma, and fibroma is a non-cancerous tumour that takes origin from the smooth muscle layer (myometrium) and the neighbouring tissue of the uterus.

Fibroids are the commonest tumours in the uterus as well as in the female body.

They may cause abnormal vaginal bleeding, pelvic pain, urinary and intestinal symptoms.

Fibroids may cause complication in pregnancies.

Pelvic examination and ultrasonography aid in diagnosis.

Uterine Fibroids / Fibroids in Uterus

Treatment modalities include oral contraceptives, hormone therapy to shrink fibroids, and surgical procedures such as hysterectomy or excision of the fibroid itself. Surgery these days can be customized to the patients needs.

Asymptomatic fibroids do not need treatment.


  1. Shaw's Textbook of Gynecology, 14/E by V.G. Padubidri, Shirish N. Daftary
  2. The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy Eighteenth Edition

Latest Publications and Research on Fibroids in Uterus


Shilpa2020 Friday, June 12, 2015

Uterine fibroids are the most common non-cancerous growths that develop in the muscular wall of the uterus. It will be quite painful with heavy menstrual bleeding. Fibroid will occur in every 10 to 20% of women. Many non surgical treatments are came up for treating fibroid.

manishu Wednesday, August 13, 2014

which age group females are more prone to fibroids?

Aniket_kumar Monday, September 26, 2011

thanks for providing informatics. sunday i read a article thats related to same think i want to share with you Fibroids on uterus

Mrs_Tawa Friday, September 9, 2011

pls sir am 16 years old marriage with fibroid pls i need link to free fibroid surgery NGO

fibroidsymptoms Tuesday, January 25, 2011

there are different methods of treatment of fibroid such as medical treatment, natural or herbal treatment, surgical treatment find detail about: treatment for the link.

Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question

Most Popular on Medindia