Causes of Fibroids in Uterus
The actual aetiology of fibroids is still unknown.
- Fibroids may run in families. Most affected women have a family history of fibroids.
- Women of African races are more likely to develop fibroids.
- Fibroids occur in the reproductive age. This is believed to be because of the influence of ovarian hormones (especially oestrogen) on the growth of fibroids. Females who have reached menopause rarely get fibroids.
- Early age of menarche (The first occurrence of menstruation) is associated with increased risk.
- Never having given birth to a child (called nulliparity) is a risk factor. Increasing parity (the number of liveborn children) is protective against fibroids.
- Overweight women are at increased risk.
- Cigarette smoking that drains one’s weight may hence reduce the risk.
- Shaw's Textbook of Gynecology, 14/E by V.G. Padubidri, Shirish N. Daftary
- The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy Eighteenth Edition
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Nithin Jayan. (2018, July 06). Causes of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus. Medindia. Retrieved on May 21, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-causes.htm.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Causes of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus". Medindia. May 21, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-causes.htm>.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Causes of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-causes.htm. (accessed May 21, 2022).
Dr. Nithin Jayan. 2021. Causes of Uterine Fibroids | Fibroids in Uterus. Medindia, viewed May 21, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/fibroids-in-uterus-causes.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
9 years experience
DR Ankita Mandal, Near Greenwood Park