Common symptoms of eye infection include pain, redness of eye or eyelids, eye discharge, increased sensitivity to light, foreign body sensation and decreased or blurred vision.
What is an Eye Infection?
Eye infection is a common problem that often causes pain and discomfort to the eyes. It sometimes can disturb vision and affect daily routine. It may be caused by bacteria, viruses and fungi. Neonates, elderly, diabetic patients and people who use contact lenses are commonly susceptible to eye infections.
Symptoms of eye infection vary according to which part of the eye is affected by the infection. Symptoms may include eye pain, redness of eye or eyelids, eye discharge, increased sensitivity to light, foreign body sensation and decreased or blurred vision. Some non-infectious agents like pollen, allergens and atmospheric pollutants may also cause inflammation of eye and result in similar symptoms. Hence, a careful evaluation of the patient by an ophthalmologist is important in order to identify the cause of eye infection and start appropriate treatment.
Diagnosis of ocular infections is based on clinical examination, microbiological testing of ocular samples and other tests. As these infections are usually contagious and might cause damage to the eye leading to vision problems, treatment must be immediate. Eye infections can be avoided to a certain extent by practicing good personal hygiene.
- Common Eye Infections - (http://www.intechopen.com/books/common-eye-infections)
- KEEPING AN EYE ON INFECTIONS - (http://www.diabetes.org.sg/resources/0709-keeping.pdf)
- Treatment of Blood Clots - (http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/106/20/e138.full)
- Blood Clots and Strokes: A Guide for Parents and Little Folks - By Maureen Andrew, Maureen Andrew
Latest Publications and Research on Eye Infections
- Rapid multiplex detection of the resistance genes mecA, vanA and vanB from Gram-positive cocci-positive blood cultures using a PCR-dipstick technique. - Published by PubMed
- Diabetes care management patterns before and after a cancer diagnosis: A SEER-Medicare matched cohort study. - Published by PubMed
- Colistin resistance in Gram-negative ocular infections: prevalence, clinical outcome and antibiotic susceptibility patterns. - Published by PubMed
- Cause-specific mortality of children younger than 5 years in communities receiving biannual mass azithromycin treatment in Niger: verbal autopsy results from a cluster-randomised controlled trial. - Published by PubMed
- Gold-silver nanoshells promote wound healing from drug-resistant bacteria infection and enable monitoring via surface-enhanced Raman scattering imaging. - Published by PubMed