How to prepare for the Exercise stress test
The patient should abstain from eating or drinking anything except water for four hours before the
- Smoking should be avoided before the test.
- Caffeine has to be avoided for 12 hours before the test as it may interfere with the results. Any food or drink containing caffeine has to be avoided.
- With regards to heart medications, the patient has to do exactly as his/her doctor advises to. These medications should not be taken unless the doctors say otherwise.
- Other medications may be continued unless instructed otherwise.
- The patient may bring an inhaler if he uses it for breathing.
- He/She should use comfortable shoes and loose clothing.
How a diabetic patient is prepared for the test
- If the patient is on insulin, the dosage on the day of test has to be discussed with the doctor. Usually half the morning dose plus a light meal four hours before the test is prescribed.
- If the patient is on pills to control blood sugar, he/she should not take them until after the test is complete. Skip a meal before the test.
- Blood sugar levels before and after the test may be measured.
- Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 8th ed.