Eustachian tube dysfunction can often be prevented by following these simple tips:
- Never neglect respiratory infections and allergies, and make it a point to follow treatment as advised by your physician.
- When suffering from an allergic reaction or common cold that causes nasal congestion, try to avoid air travel.
- If air travel is unavoidable when you are down with a cold or allergy, make it a point to get treated with antihistamines and decongestants.
- When travelling by air, make it a point to chew gum or suck on lozenges as this stimulates salivation and encourages swallowing. You can also keep sipping on water.
- When your flight is taking off and descending breathe in and gently exhale while blocking your nostrils and keeping your mouth closed. This can help to prevent blockage.
- You can also purchase and use special earplugs that are sold at most drugstores, especially at those in and around airports. These earplugs help to equalize the pressure in your ears.
If you do experience any of the symptoms of Eustachian tube dysfunction, you can also attempt to treat them at home, provided they are not severe and have not been present for a prolonged period.
- Try to restore air flow in and out of the Eustachian tubes by chewing, swallowing or yawning.
- You can also use the method of exhaling while keeping the nostrils and mouth closed so as to send air through the Eustachian tubes. If this method works you will most likely hear a popping sound as air is finally forced in.
- If your baby is afflicted with Eustachian tube dysfunction try giving him/her a pacifier to suck on as this will facilitate swallowing.
- Eustachian Tube Dysfunction - (https://familydoctor.org/condition/eustachian-tube-dysfunction/)
- Physiology, Eustachian Tube Dysfunction - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books
- Association between Otitis Media Infection and Failed Hearing Screenings in Children - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6386476/)
- What You Should Know About Eustachian Tube Dysfunction - (https://www.healthline.com/health/eustachian-tube-dysfunction)
- What's to Know About Eustachian Tube Dysfunction? - (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319602.php#symptoms)
- Interventions for Adult Eustachian Tube Dysfunction: A Systematic Review. - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK262265/)
- Eustachian Tube Dysfunction - (https://www.bcm.edu/healthcare/care-centers/center-hearing-balance/conditions/eustachian-tube-dysfunction)
- Ear Tubes - (https://www.enthealth.org/be_ent_smart/ear-tubes/)