Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which Doctor Should I Consult?

If the problem is not severe and has only been present for a few days you can consult your general physician and he will refer you to a specialist if needed. If your regular health care providers have been unable to treat the problem, if it has been present for a long time or has a history of recurring you should visit an otolaryngologist. Otolaryngologists are more commonly referred to as ENT (ear, nose and throat) doctors and a Eustachian tube disorder would fall into their area of expertise.

2. Can Eustachian Tube Dysfunction Cause Sore Throat?

It is unlikely that Eustachian tube dysfunction would cause a sore throat but it is more likely that a common cold or allergy is responsible for both the sore throat and Eustachian tube dysfunction.

3. Should I give my child antibiotics to treat Eustachian tube dysfunction?

Antibiotics are not required, especially when dealing with mild cases. If necessary, your physician would be the best person to decide on the necessity and type of antibiotic to be administered.

4. Can I use ear drops to treat Eustachian tube dysfunction?

Ear drops will not help treat Eustachian tube dysfunction as ear drops cannot reach the Eustachian tube which is connected to the middle ear, located behind the ear drum.

Most Popular on Medindia