Complications and Prognosis of Epidermolysis Bullosa
Junctional epidermolysis bullosis is associated with a high death rate, while other types of epidermolysis bullosa are milder and may not reduce life expectancy.
Complications of Epidermolysis Bullosa
- Narrowing of the food pipe (stricture)
- Eye disorders- Even blindness may ensue
- Infections- Pus forming bacteria or their toxins may lead to sepsis
- Functional loss of hands and feet
- Muscular dystrophy
- Dental disease
- Severe malnutrition
- Skin cancer: Epidermolysis bullosa can increase the risk of a type of skin cancer called squamous cell carcinoma
Prognosis of Epidermolysis Bullosa
The prognosis or outcome of epidermolysis bullosa depends upon the severity of the illness. Mild forms improve with age. Scarring left behind by blisters may lead to a number of complications.
- Contracture deformities could compromise mobility
- Involvement of mouth and food pipe causes difficulties with feeding and swallowing
- Secondary infections are not uncommon
- A.D.A.M Medical Encyclopedia
- Vesicular and bullous diseases. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier;2009;chap 16.
- Morelli JG. Vesiculobullous disorders. In: Kliegman RM, Behrman RE, Jenson HB, Stanton BF, eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 18th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier;2007:chap 653.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Nithin Jayan. (2014, August 12). Complications and Prognosis of Epidermolysis Bullosa. Medindia. Retrieved on May 29, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/epidermolysis-bullosa-complications-and-prognosis.htm.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Complications and Prognosis of Epidermolysis Bullosa". Medindia. May 29, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/epidermolysis-bullosa-complications-and-prognosis.htm>.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Complications and Prognosis of Epidermolysis Bullosa". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/epidermolysis-bullosa-complications-and-prognosis.htm. (accessed May 29, 2022).
Dr. Nithin Jayan. 2021. Complications and Prognosis of Epidermolysis Bullosa. Medindia, viewed May 29, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/epidermolysis-bullosa-complications-and-prognosis.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Dermatologist for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
Well baby and skin clinic , Prem Nagar, Jhotwara
14 years experience
Jithesh Skin Clinic , Madurai
1 year experience
Venkateshwara med city , U turn before Redhills toll gate and hospital is on the left