Frequently Asked Questions
You can consult a genetic counselor.
2. How can environmental birth defects be prevented?
For the prevention of environmental birth defects a pregnant woman must take care of the following things -
- Avoid alcohol intake during pregnancy
- Avoid active and passive smoking during pregnancy
- Avoid intake of any illicit drugs during pregnancy
- Avoid unnecessary medications during pregnancy
- Ensure that all the vaccinations are up to date
- Ensure that she does not have any sexually transmitted disease (STD)
- Take prenatal vitamins before conception (folic acid)
- Eat healthy, exercise and rest
3. What are my chances of having a baby with a birth defect?
In the US one out of every 33 babies is born with a birth defect.