Special caution must be exercised by a woman who is preparing for egg donation, as there are several factors,besides health issues, that are of grave concern.
- In the case of egg donation for the purpose of reproduction, fertility clinics or the individuals concerned may be involved in the transaction. Sometimes a third party or a broker involved.
- Selection may take place after a telephonic interview or a direct one. Several questions related to the candidate’s medical history and that of her family will be asked.
- Sometimes genetic testing or screening for high-risk diseases is done on the candidate as part of the protocol.
- The candidate should well be aware of the payment details.A medical insurance may cover in the case of complications.
- Consult the doctor on details regarding medications
- The candidate must be psychologically prepared to meet the physical and emotional challenges offered by the programme.
- It may be advisable to talk to a counselor to minimise the stress
- Those who are religiously inclined may also take the advise of a religious counselor if they so desire
- Donors should find the answers to the following questions-
- Who will foot the bills for the medical tests?
- What happens to the information provided?
- Is there a system in place in case of an emergency?
- If a risk is detected after genetic testing, is there scope for genetic counseling?
- What is the status of the medical/life insurance when a high-risk status is detected?
- If the offspring develops a disease or requires a transplant later on, will the concerned people contact the donor for help?