An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy where the fetus is not growing in its usual location i.e. the uterine cavity or the womb.
It is also known as “Tubal Pregnancy”as vast majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in fallopian tubes (almost 98%).However, they can occur in a number of other unusual locations including abdomen, ovary or
It is a life-threatening condition to the mother with a major risk of rupture leading to internal bleeding.
It is the leading cause of pregnancy-related death in the
An ectopic pregnancy results from a fertilized egg's inability to move into the uterus. This can be due to congenital deformities or blockages in the tube. The classical signs and symptoms of ectopic pregnancy include abdominal pain, amenorrhea and vaginal bleeding.
A quantitative hCG test and an ultrasound can help diagnose ectopic pregnancy.
Treatment of an ectopic pregnancy depends on the size and location of the pregnancy. An early ectopic pregnancy can sometimes be treated with methotrexate injection, which stops the growth of the embryo. If the abnormal ectopic pregnancy ruptures, surgery is required to remove the abnormal pregnancy.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2020, October 12). Ectopic Pregnancy - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 06, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ectopicpregnancy.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Ectopic Pregnancy - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. Dec 06, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ectopicpregnancy.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Ectopic Pregnancy - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ectopicpregnancy.htm. (accessed Dec 06, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Ectopic Pregnancy - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia, viewed Dec 06, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ectopicpregnancy.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Ectopic Pregnancy
- Effect of endometrial injury during menstruation on clinical outcomes in frozen-thawed embryo transfer cycles: A randomized control trial. - Published by PubMed
- Laparoscopic management of a cornual pregnancy following failed methotrexate treatment: case report and review of literature. - Published by PubMed
- Rapid point of care test for detecting urogenital Chlamydia trachomatis infection in nonpregnant women and men at reproductive age. - Published by PubMed
- Ruptured Ectopic Pregnancy in an Accessory Horn of Uterus: A Case Report. - Published by PubMed
- Association between pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility, ectopic pregnancy and the development of ovarian serous borderline tumor, mucinous borderline tumor and low-grade serous carcinoma. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Obstetrician and Gynaecologist (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
12 years experience
apollo hospital, navi mumbai
34 years experience
14 years experience
30 years experience