Last Updated on Jun 22, 2020

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult for symptoms of painful periods?

You need to consult a gynecologist.

2. Is having painful periods normal?

Many women have some degree of discomfort and pain during their periods. If the pain and cramping is severe enough to disrupt daily activities and associated with nausea, diarrhea and headaches, you need to consult a gynecologist.

3. How long do menstrual cramps normally last?

They usually begin with the onset of periods and generally do not last more than two to three days.

4. Why do I have severe cramping during my periods?

Your body may be producing more prostaglandins than normal. Consult a specialist. He may recommend NSAIDs which reduce the amount of prostaglandins and provide relief.

5. My mother had painful periods. Will I too suffer from the same condition?

It canít be generalized, you may or may not suffer the same condition as your motherís. Family history increases the risk. You can reduce the risk by regular exercise, following a healthy diet, avoiding smoking and alcohol and practising stress reduction techniques.


bolayski Monday, December 3, 2012

decrease intake of sugar...really? i thought sugar or anything sweet helps minimize the pain. Coz i find soda and especially dark chocolate, to be very helpful. I swear on dark chocolates to be an instant pain-reliever, but unfortunately, its also temporary! Well, just gotta eat more i guess..

janice123 Thursday, February 9, 2012

hope that this kind of sickness in me would gone and would never be back again,,,,since then I've been having this,,,and it hurts a lot

pellucid1985 Tuesday, September 11, 2012

when you believe,it will ok. the life is continu...

ennairam_23 Thursday, March 17, 2011

I am one of those lucky women who have not experienced dysmenorrhea! If you're a woman and your dysmenorrhea is so painful that it disrupts your daily routine, better to have yourself checked by a doctor, specifically an OB-GYN. You might have an underlying problem that contributes to the dysmenorrhea.

sriee Tuesday, December 28, 2010

how to get immediate menses.please suggest me

mrcdt Tuesday, January 17, 2012

my sister-in-law and my bff took this product that helped them..

honey007rmsas Thursday, March 5, 2009

Well I tried all of the above and none of them work. So I'm managing with painkillers. This list needs to be updated

mrcdt Tuesday, January 17, 2012

u can contact me for suggestions..

View More Comments

Do you wish to consult Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question

Most Popular on Medindia