Diet for Kidney Stones
Prevention strategies for kidney stones should include - Increasing your daily fluid intake and taking the recommended daily allowance of calcium
Two dietary modifications are recommended for most kidney stone sufferers. Remember that you should consult your doctor when planning to follow any diet.
Increase your fluid intake to the point where your urine volume reaches 2.5 litres a day. This may mean drinking up to 3 litres a day, if you live in a hot, dry climate or if you are involved in strenuous physical activity. Increasing urine volume decreases the concentration of minerals in the urine. This makes it less likely that a stone will form.
Make sure your diet includes the recommended Daily Allowance of calcium. Note that your calcium intake should be greatest at mealtimes. This helps to ensure that ingested minerals such as oxalate bind with calcium during digestion and pass out of the body through the intestines, rather than passing into the bloodstream and then binding with calcium in the kidneys.
Generally those who develop kidney stones once are prone to develop them again.
They say that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. For kidney stone patients, that famous ounce of prevention adds up to 2 - 3 litres a day of good drinking water.
Other dietary recommendations may depend on the type of kidney stone you are likely to form. But, pace Henry David Thoreau, "Water is the only drink for a wise kidney stone patient."
- Education, Advocacy, Support, Highlight Sixth ICF Symposium - (https://cystinuria.org/education-advocacy-support-highlight-sixth-icf-symposium/)
- Kidney Stones - (https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/urologic-diseases/kidney-stones)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Inara Hasanali. (2016, November 23). Diet for Kidney Stones. Medindia. Retrieved on Feb 04, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-kidney-stones.htm.
Inara Hasanali. "Diet for Kidney Stones". Medindia. Feb 04, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-kidney-stones.htm>.
Inara Hasanali. "Diet for Kidney Stones". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-kidney-stones.htm. (accessed Feb 04, 2023).
Inara Hasanali. 2021. Diet for Kidney Stones. Medindia, viewed Feb 04, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-kidney-stones.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Diet for Kidney stones
- Gaps in Care among Veterans with Urinary Stone Disease. - Published by PubMed
- [Idiopathic hypercalciuria: can the diuretics be avoided?] - Published by PubMed
- The effects of the inactivation of Hydroxyproline dehydrogenase on urinary oxalate and glycolate excretion in mouse models of primary hyperoxaluria. - Published by PubMed
- Simultaneous use of oxalate-degrading bacteria and herbal extract to reduce the urinary oxalate in a rat model: A new strategy. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a Nephrologist for your problem? Ask your question
13 years experience
Apollo Spectra Hospital, Mall Road, Kanpur Nagar
13 years experience
20 years experience
Medsarc Advanced Superspeciality Clinics, Residency Green, Netaji Subhash Marg, Gurgaon
22 years experience