High Blood Pressure
High Blood Pressure or Hypertension is defined as a blood pressure of above 140 mm Hg (systolic) and or 90mm Hg (diastolic). High blood pressure can be dangerous as it makes the heart work harder and the high force of blood flow can harm the arteries and the organs like the heart, brain, kidneys and eyes.
High blood pressure is a risk factor for heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and dementia. Some people may not realize they have high blood pressure until they have problems with their blood, heart or kidneys.
Anyone can get high blood pressure. It does not discriminate between race, age or gender. Blood pressure usually rises with age except when the physical activity is high, obesity is largely absent and salt intake is low.
What is blood pressure - Blood is carried to all parts of the body by the arteries. Blood pressure is defined as the force of the blood against the artery walls as the heart pumps the blood around the body. Each time the heart beats it pumps out blood into the arteries. Systolic pressure (when the heart beats) and diastolic pressure (when the heart relaxes) are the terms used to define blood pressure. Blood pressure is measured in millimetres of mercury (mmHg).
Blood pressure rises and falls throughout the day. It is the lowest when you sleep and rises when you get up. It can also rise when you get nervous, excited or happy. Sometimes it stays elevated over a period and this condition leads to high blood pressure.
- Hajjar IM, Grim CE, George V, Kotchen TA. Impact of diet on blood pressure and age-related changes in blood pressure in the US population: analysis of NHANES III. Arch Intern Med. 2001;161(4):589-593
- Ruidavets J-B, Bongard V, Simon C, Dallongeville J, Ducimetiere P, Arveiler D, Amouyel P, Bingham A, Ferrierres : Independent contribution of dairy products and calcium intake to blood pressure variations at a population level. J Hypertens 2006
- About cardiovascular diseases - (https://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/about_cvd/en/)
- Risk of high blood pressure in salt workers working near salt milling plants: A cross-sectional and interventional study - (http://www.ehjournal.net/content/4/1/13)
- DASH Diet and High Blood Pressure - (http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/dash-diet)
- Potassium lowers blood pressure - (http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0705c.shtml)
- Dietary calcium intake and Renin Angiotensin System polymorphisms alter the blood pressure response to aerobic exercise: a randomized control design - (http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/4/1/1)
- Calcium - (http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/calcium.asp)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Inara Hasanali. (2020, February 14). High Blood Pressure. Medindia. Retrieved on Sep 26, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure.htm.
Inara Hasanali. "High Blood Pressure". Medindia. Sep 26, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure.htm>.
Inara Hasanali. "High Blood Pressure". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure.htm. (accessed Sep 26, 2023).
Inara Hasanali. 2020. High Blood Pressure. Medindia, viewed Sep 26, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Diet and High Blood Pressure
- The Impact of High Dietary Sodium Consumption on Blood Pressure Variability in Healthy, Young Adults. - Published by PubMed
- Dietary anti-inflammatory index, metabolic syndrome and transition in metabolic status; a gender-specific analysis of ATTICA prospective study. - Published by PubMed
- The impact of changes in population blood pressure on hypertension prevalence and control in China. - Published by PubMed
- A Metabolic Intravascular Platform to Study FDG Uptake in Vascular Injury. - Published by PubMed
- The risk of urinary tract infection in vegetarians and non-vegetarians: a prospective study. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
31 years experience
Parti Medical Center , Near Shadipur depot, New Delhi
2 years experience
11 years experience
S K health care center , Rajendar Nagar, Bareilly
4 years experience