Whole Grain Products and High Blood Pressure
Whole grains are an integral part of the DASH eating plan together with fruits and vegetables and the fibre and nutrients present in them help in lowering blood pressure. Fibre works synergistically with other essential nutrients like calcium, potassium and magnesium to control hypertension.
Whole grains are important sources of fibres and nutrients. They are good sources of complex carbohydrates and vitamins of the B complex group. Consuming at least three servings of whole grains daily will help to prevent the onset of many chronic diseases as well as promote weight loss to some extent. Maintaining optimum weight is one of the factors to decrease blood pressure as being overweight often increases the chance of developing hypertension.
Sources of Whole Grain Products
Some sources of whole grain include whole wheat, whole oats, whole rye, whole grain barley, wild rice, brown rice, bulgur (cracked wheat), sorghum and millet.
- Hajjar IM, Grim CE, George V, Kotchen TA. Impact of diet on blood pressure and age-related changes in blood pressure in the US population: analysis of NHANES III. Arch Intern Med. 2001;161(4):589-593
- Ruidavets J-B, Bongard V, Simon C, Dallongeville J, Ducimetiere P, Arveiler D, Amouyel P, Bingham A, Ferrierres : Independent contribution of dairy products and calcium intake to blood pressure variations at a population level. J Hypertens 2006
- About cardiovascular diseases - (https://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/about_cvd/en/)
- Risk of high blood pressure in salt workers working near salt milling plants: A cross-sectional and interventional study - (http://www.ehjournal.net/content/4/1/13)
- DASH Diet and High Blood Pressure - (http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/dash-diet)
- Potassium lowers blood pressure - (http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0705c.shtml)
- Dietary calcium intake and Renin Angiotensin System polymorphisms alter the blood pressure response to aerobic exercise: a randomized control design - (http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/4/1/1)
- Calcium - (http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/calcium.asp)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Inara Hasanali. (2020, February 14). Whole Grain Products and High Blood Pressure. Medindia. Retrieved on May 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-wholegrain.htm.
Inara Hasanali. "Whole Grain Products and High Blood Pressure". Medindia. May 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-wholegrain.htm>.
Inara Hasanali. "Whole Grain Products and High Blood Pressure". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-wholegrain.htm. (accessed May 26, 2022).
Inara Hasanali. 2021. Whole Grain Products and High Blood Pressure. Medindia, viewed May 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-wholegrain.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
Communicable Disease Hospital, Anna nagar