Magnesium and High Blood Pressure
Magnesium exerts a protective effect against heart attacks and is also helpful in the treatment of high blood pressure.
Studies from 12 randomized controlled trials showed that participants receiving magnesium supplements did not have a significant reduction in systolic blood pressure. However they had a significant reduction in their diastolic blood pressure. This finding emphasized the importance of magnesium preferably through natural sources as it will be better absorbed in this state.
Sources of Magnesium
Magnesium is found in nuts, seeds, legumes, green leafy vegetables, whole grains, soya beans, shrimp, oysters, crab, and molasses.
Action of Magnesium
Magnesium has many functions in the body but perhaps its major function is as a “heart helper.” It has often been referred to as “nature’s calcium channel blocker” as it has the ability to block the entry of calcium into the vascular smooth muscle cells and heart muscle cells. Thus it helps to reduce vascular resistance, lower blood pressure that leads to more effective heart function.
- Hajjar IM, Grim CE, George V, Kotchen TA. Impact of diet on blood pressure and age-related changes in blood pressure in the US population: analysis of NHANES III. Arch Intern Med. 2001;161(4):589-593
- Ruidavets J-B, Bongard V, Simon C, Dallongeville J, Ducimetiere P, Arveiler D, Amouyel P, Bingham A, Ferrierres : Independent contribution of dairy products and calcium intake to blood pressure variations at a population level. J Hypertens 2006
- About cardiovascular diseases - (https://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/about_cvd/en/)
- Risk of high blood pressure in salt workers working near salt milling plants: A cross-sectional and interventional study - (http://www.ehjournal.net/content/4/1/13)
- DASH Diet and High Blood Pressure - (http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/dash-diet)
- Potassium lowers blood pressure - (http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0705c.shtml)
- Dietary calcium intake and Renin Angiotensin System polymorphisms alter the blood pressure response to aerobic exercise: a randomized control design - (http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/4/1/1)
- Calcium - (http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/calcium.asp)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Inara Hasanali. (2020, February 14). Magnesium and High Blood Pressure. Medindia. Retrieved on May 18, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-magnesium.htm.
Inara Hasanali. "Magnesium and High Blood Pressure". Medindia. May 18, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-magnesium.htm>.
Inara Hasanali. "Magnesium and High Blood Pressure". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-magnesium.htm. (accessed May 18, 2022).
Inara Hasanali. 2021. Magnesium and High Blood Pressure. Medindia, viewed May 18, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-magnesium.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
2 years experience
HCG hospitals [oncology], sampangiRama nagar