CoenzymeQ10 (CoQ10) and High Blood Pressure
CoQ10 is a coenzyme produced naturally in the body. It is also known as ubiquinone. It is a natural anti-oxidant. It is essential for mitochondria function. The highest amounts of CoQ10 are found in the lungs, the kidneys and the heart.
Recent studies on CoQ10 supplements have shown that they may be effective in lowering systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Although the exact mechanism is unknown, its efficacy maybe due its ability to lower the levels of oxidized form of cholesterol that is dangerous. As it is an antioxidant it stabilizes the vascular system.
It is useful to add it as a supplement in pill or tablet form under medical supervision depending on your history and blood pressure symptoms. CoQ10 is got from the diet from sardines and peanuts, although the amounts obtained are minute
It is generally recommended for repair of damaged heart and improves the functioning of the heart.
- Hajjar IM, Grim CE, George V, Kotchen TA. Impact of diet on blood pressure and age-related changes in blood pressure in the US population: analysis of NHANES III. Arch Intern Med. 2001;161(4):589-593
- Ruidavets J-B, Bongard V, Simon C, Dallongeville J, Ducimetiere P, Arveiler D, Amouyel P, Bingham A, Ferrierres : Independent contribution of dairy products and calcium intake to blood pressure variations at a population level. J Hypertens 2006
- About cardiovascular diseases - (https://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/about_cvd/en/)
- Risk of high blood pressure in salt workers working near salt milling plants: A cross-sectional and interventional study - (http://www.ehjournal.net/content/4/1/13)
- DASH Diet and High Blood Pressure - (http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/dash-diet)
- Potassium lowers blood pressure - (http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0705c.shtml)
- Dietary calcium intake and Renin Angiotensin System polymorphisms alter the blood pressure response to aerobic exercise: a randomized control design - (http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/4/1/1)
- Calcium - (http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/calcium.asp)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Inara Hasanali. (2020, February 14). CoenzymeQ10 (CoQ10) and High Blood Pressure. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-coenzyme.htm.
Inara Hasanali. "CoenzymeQ10 (CoQ10) and High Blood Pressure". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-coenzyme.htm>.
Inara Hasanali. "CoenzymeQ10 (CoQ10) and High Blood Pressure". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-coenzyme.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Inara Hasanali. 2021. CoenzymeQ10 (CoQ10) and High Blood Pressure. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diet-high-blood-pressure-coenzyme.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
5 years experience
Medipal clinic , Kanhaipurwa
+ 1 more