Diagnosis of Blood Clots
Imaging studies and blood tests help in the diagnosis of blood clots.
After obtaining a complete patient history and examining the patient, some tests may be used to diagnose the presence of a blood clot, and to find out its cause and detect associated complications.
Tests used in the diagnosis of blood clot are:
- Blood tests: These include:
- Complete blood count and platelet level.
- Measurement of lipid levels in the blood like total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Other tests like lipoprotein (a) and fasting homocysteine levels, which show if a person is prone to plaque formation in the arteries, and HbA1c levels, which indicates diabetes control.
- Tests that could diagnose increased clotting of blood like prothrombin time and activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT). Additional tests may include anticardiolipin antibody (ACA) or beta-2 glycoprotein, lupus anticoagulants (LA) and heparin antibodies.
- Tests to identify genetic defects like factor V-Leiden and factor II (prothrombin) G-20210A.
- Imaging studies: Imaging studies that help to locate the clot are:
- Computed Tomography CT scan
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging studies (MRI)
- Echocardiogram and electrocardiogram (ECG)– to detect a clot in the heart
- Angiograms and Venograms
- Chest X–Ray
- Treatment of Blood Clots - (http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/106/20/e138.full)
- Blood Clots and Strokes: A Guide for Parents and Little Folks - By Maureen Andrew, Maureen Andrew, MD.
- Blood Clotting Disorders (Hypercoagulable States) - (http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/vascular/hypercoagstate.aspx)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2014, July 24). Diagnosis of Blood Clots. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 30, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diagnosis-of-blood-clots.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Diagnosis of Blood Clots". Medindia. Jun 30, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diagnosis-of-blood-clots.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Diagnosis of Blood Clots". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diagnosis-of-blood-clots.htm. (accessed Jun 30, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Diagnosis of Blood Clots. Medindia, viewed Jun 30, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diagnosis-of-blood-clots.htm.