Diagnosis and Treatment of Filariasis
Filariasisis diagnosed by direct demonstration of the microfilariae in the nocturnal blood sample or skin specimen. Diethylcarbamazine (DEC) is the recommended medicine for treating filariasis.(6Filaria
Go to source)
How do you Diagnose Filariasis?
The commonly used method to diagnose filariasis includes-
- Direct demonstration of microfilariae in blood or skin specimens. The blood sample is usually collected at night as microfilariae have nocturnal periodicity.
- Detection of antibodies by immunodiagnostic tests
- Detection of circulating filarial antigen (CFA).
How do you Treat Filariasis?
Diethylcarbamazine (DEC) is the recommended medicine for treating filariasis. It kills microfilaria and does not have any effect on the adult worms. Thus, it only helps to control transmission of infection from one person to other. It may cause a reaction in some individuals. Ivermectin or albendazole may be useful in some patients.
Good hygiene of the affected part prevents the worsening of the lymphedema and secondary bacterial skin infections.
The affected limb should be kept elevated and regular exercises should be done to improve the lymph flow.
While medicines are available to treat filaria, the gross swelling of the leg makes a person look noticeable and ugly. Hence, it is better to protect from the bites of filaria mosquitoes. Use of aerosols; mosquito repellent creams, mats, coils; nets and prevention of breeding of mosquitoes with better practice of hygiene and sanitation can help prevent filariasis.(7✔ ✔Trusted Source
Parasites - Lymphatic Filariasis
Go to source)
- Filariasis - Wikipedia - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filariasis)
- Lymphatic Filariasis - (https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/lymphatic-filariasis)
- Blood Lymphatic Disease - Filariasis - (https://www.nhp.gov.in/disease/blood-lymphatic/filariasis)
- Filariasis: Symptoms, Causes and Management - (https://www.aimu.us/2017/07/15/filariasis-symptoms-causes-and-management/)
- Filariasis - (https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/filariasis/)
- Filaria - (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/immunology-and-microbiology/filaria)
- Parasites - Lymphatic Filariasis - (https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lymphaticfilariasis/treatment.html)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2019, November 05). Diagnosis and Treatment of Filariasis. Medindia. Retrieved on May 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-filariasis.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Diagnosis and Treatment of Filariasis". Medindia. May 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-filariasis.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Diagnosis and Treatment of Filariasis". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-filariasis.htm. (accessed May 28, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Diagnosis and Treatment of Filariasis. Medindia, viewed May 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-filariasis.htm.