Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which doctor should be consulted for Diabetic Retinopathy?
Your general practitioner should refer you to an ophthalmologist or an eye doctor.
2. How can I protect my eyes from the effects of Diabetes?
- Keep your blood sugar under control by adjusting your diet and taking medications as advised by your doctor
- Keep your blood pressure and cholesterol under control
- Exercise regularly
- Get a regular check up with an Ophthalmologist, at least once a year
3. Can Diabetes make me blind?
Diabetic retinopathy, if untreated can lead to blindness. However, if detected on time, damage to the retina can be controlled with proper treatment.
4. How long does it take for Diabetic Retinopathy to develop?
In patients of Type I DM, screening for Diabetic Retinopathy is generally started after 5 years of diagnosis. However, in patients of Type II DM, screening is started immediately on diagnosis.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Sudha Seetharam. (2020, November 21). Diabetic Retinopathy - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia. Retrieved on May 18, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diabetic-retinopathy-faqs.htm.
Dr. Sudha Seetharam. "Diabetic Retinopathy - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. May 18, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diabetic-retinopathy-faqs.htm>.
Dr. Sudha Seetharam. "Diabetic Retinopathy - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diabetic-retinopathy-faqs.htm. (accessed May 18, 2022).
Dr. Sudha Seetharam. 2021. Diabetic Retinopathy - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia, viewed May 18, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diabetic-retinopathy-faqs.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Diabetologist for your problem? Ask your question
2 years experience
Aram clinic , Kattankulathur