Frequently Asked Questions
A nephrologist treats diabetic nephropathy
2. How often must diabetics check for microalbuminuria?
They should be screened on a yearly basis.
3. How can diabetic nephropathy be prevented?
Prevent diabetic nephropathy by:
- Keeping your blood sugar under control
- Maintaining healthy weight
- Eating healthy
- Exercising regularly
- Taking the required medications regularly
4. How often must the tests be taken?
Type 1 diabetes for 5 years – urine test every year
Juvenile diabetes – screening from puberty
Type 2 diabetes - yearly testing after diagnosis
5. What is the best way to restrict protein in your diet?
Protein restriction must be carried out cautiously to avoid malnutrition. The protein intake should be restricted to 0.6 to 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight each day.