Exercise Program for Diabetes Patients
Diabetics should plan out the intensity, frequency, duration and timing of the exercise
The exercise program should be aimed at achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. Accordingly, one should target an energy expenditure of 700-2000 calories per week through the various exercises that they may choose.
- Aerobic exercise, involving large muscle groups, for 30 minutes a day is beneficial, while resistance exercises (weights, elastic resistance bands, or strength training machines) can be an option for people with low cardiac risk
Before commencing any physical activity the following parameters need to be given consideration:
- Intensity of exercise: How intense should the physical activity be? This generally depends on the tolerance of an individual.
- Frequency of exercise: How many days in a week should an individual exercise? Generally, 5 days in a week is preferred, unless one needs to lose weight, in which case it should be more. Exercise done for a short duration must be done more often. For example, one can take three brisk 10-minute walks, one shortly after each meal. Since keeping blood glucose within the target range is the aim, the duration between two exercise sessions should be less than 3 days. Diabetics on insulin should be regular with exercise since the blood glucose levels can increase on the days exercise is not performed.
- Duration of exercise: This refers to how long an individual exercise session should last. This is normally related to the intensity of the exercise. High intensity exercises should be of shorter duration and vice versa. It is not advisable for an individual to indulge in long exercise sessions as blood glucose levels may fall below the desired range.
- Timing of exercise: When should exercise be done? The health care team and the patient together usually should decide this aspect and this depends on the individual's daily routine. However, exercising immediately after major meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) should be avoided. Exercising during peak insulin action (for those on insulin) is not recommended. This depends on the type of insulin being used and hence it is best to check with the doctor.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Bina Naik. (2016, March 15). Diabetes and Exercise-Exercise Program . Medindia. Retrieved on Apr 01, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diabetesandexercise-exerciseprogram.htm.
Bina Naik. "Diabetes and Exercise-Exercise Program ". Medindia. Apr 01, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diabetesandexercise-exerciseprogram.htm>.
Bina Naik. "Diabetes and Exercise-Exercise Program ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diabetesandexercise-exerciseprogram.htm. (accessed Apr 01, 2023).
Bina Naik. 2021. Diabetes and Exercise-Exercise Program . Medindia, viewed Apr 01, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/diabetesandexercise-exerciseprogram.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Diabetologist for your problem? Ask your question
6 years experience
Health and wellness center, LB Nagar, Balanagar , Hyderabad
4 years experience
10 years experience
, Areekode, Malappuram
4 years experience
My fasting sugar is 253 and after 2 hours of lunch is 353 and this i came know ony on 28/03/2013 . You are requested to advice me , so that my blood sugar comes down , because i am suffering from cataract and has been suggested for operation,so pl advice,so that i can go for operation as soon as possible .
My fasting sugar is 116 and after 2 hours of breakfast is 206 without taking any tablets.. when i was taking tablet Gluformin xl 500 mg. my sugar was under control.could you please suggest me what to now and what to eat ??
i have diabetes my gluose level is on fasting 116 and after food it become 220 same time i am taking tablet is this good in that level thanks and best regards waiting for your answer
my glucose level on fasting is 125 and after food it becomes 205 . pls advise me the best mothod to reduce glucose level. iam taking medicine for PCOD and diatary suppliments. which are the food i have to avoid? and the remody to control it.
my blood sugar level is now 135 after meal it gets 180, please advise me how can i bring this level to below normal. once below normal brings after, can we keep the same level? I am going to getting marriage next month, if i get marriage, is there any problem for my wife and children's. please help me for this information.