Pain is the most common manifestation of dental disease and the advent of anesthesia may be regarded as a cornerstone in the development of modern dentistry. Anesthesia is used not only for extraction of teeth, but also for procedures that cause pain such as drilling cavities or cleaning the teeth deep into the gums.
Historically, dental pain or a
Dental anesthesia can be administered intra-orally or extra-orally.
The spectrum of
- Local Anesthetics
- General Anesthetics
Lidocaine is the most commonly used local anesthetic agent. Inadvertent injection into a blood vessel can lead to complications like hematoma (collection of blood outside the blood vessels).
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 26). Dental Anesthesia - Types - Modern Anesthetics - Administration - Contraindications And Complications - FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on May 30, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/dental-anesthesia.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Dental Anesthesia - Types - Modern Anesthetics - Administration - Contraindications And Complications - FAQs". Medindia. May 30, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/dental-anesthesia.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Dental Anesthesia - Types - Modern Anesthetics - Administration - Contraindications And Complications - FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/dental-anesthesia.htm. (accessed May 30, 2023).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2014. Dental Anesthesia - Types - Modern Anesthetics - Administration - Contraindications And Complications - FAQs. Medindia, viewed May 30, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/dental-anesthesia.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Dental Anesthesia
- Do Academic Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Comply With Best Practices for Reporting the Results of Randomized Clinical Trials? - Published by PubMed
- Multi-drug therapy for epilepsy influenced bispectral index after a bolus propofol administration without affecting propofol's pharmacokinetics: a prospective cohort study. - Published by PubMed
- Distinct effects of general anesthetics on lung metastasis mediated by IL-6/JAK/STAT3 pathway in mouse models. - Published by PubMed
- Impact of maxillary teeth morphology on the failure rate of local anesthesia. - Published by PubMed
- Knowledge and Management of First Permanent Molars with Enamel Hypomineralization among Dentists and Orthodontists. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a Dentist for your problem? Ask your question
9 years experience
Peoples Dental Clinic, Gamma 1, Greater Noida