Frequently Asked Questions1. Which doctor should I consult if I am suffering from cystitis?
One can consult a general practitioner or a urologist. However, in case of recurrent infections it is always advisable to see a urologist.
2. How to prevent cystitis?
- Drink more fluids on a regular basis. Preferably at least 1.5 liters daily.
- Passing urine shortly after sex is probably a good idea in women with recurrent cystitis.
- In girls, it is important to confirm they use a hygienic approach to wiping themselves.
- Use loose fitting cotton underwear.
- Do not use perfumed soaps around the genital area. Prefer using neutral soaps in this area.
3. What are the complications of cystitis?
Complications of cystitis are:
- Recurrent infections
- Kidney infection
- Acute kidney failure
4. What is the prognosis of cystitis?
Even though most cases are distressing, cystitis seldom causes any real danger to one’s health.