Cystic Fibrosis Support Groups
Living with CF can produce immense fear, frustration, anxiety, depression, and stress. It is therefore very important for the patient and caretakers to keep in constant touch with the medical team and discuss about things that bother them or about things that they may want to learn.
Seeking help from a professional counselor might also be a good idea.
It is considered very useful to learn about the disease and to be aware of the methods that might help in living with it.
Here are a few tips that would help a person to cope with CF -
- Monitoring by an expert team at least once in 3 months is mandatory
- Take a balanced diet that includes fruits, veggies and grains
- Exercise regularly. Do chest therapy as directed
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Avoid smoking/excessive alcohol
- Wash hands to control infections
- Take medications and high-salt diet as prescribed by the doctor
- Normal sex is possible but infertility may be a problem. Consult a doctor if pregnancy is planned. Several ART techniques are available that may help a person with CF.
- Consult a doctor if you have the following signs:
- Persisting Fever
- Blood in the mucus
- Increased quantity of mucus
- Change in the color / consistency of mucus.
- Decreased appetite
- Feeling extreme tiredness
- Dark green vomit
- Severe constipation / diarrhea
- Severe abdominal pain
Joining a patient support group may help to provide emotional support to a person living with cystic fibrosis, ease their anxieties and offer relief to their well-founded fears.
Never forget to lend support to a loved one with CF. They really need it!
United State of America (USA)
1. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
2. Cystic Fibrosis Research, Inc (CFRI)
3. Boomer Esiason Foundation
United Kingdom (UK)
1. Cystic fibrosis trust
2. Chloe Cotton Trust Fund
1. Reaching Out Foundation
- Cystic Fibrosis: Prenatal Screening and Diagnosis - (http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq171.pdf)
- How Is Cystic Fibrosis Diagnosed? - (https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cf/diagnosis)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. (2021, May 10). Cystic Fibrosis - Support Groups. Medindia. Retrieved on May 18, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cystic-fibrosis-support-groups.htm.
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. "Cystic Fibrosis - Support Groups". Medindia. May 18, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cystic-fibrosis-support-groups.htm>.
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. "Cystic Fibrosis - Support Groups". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cystic-fibrosis-support-groups.htm. (accessed May 18, 2022).
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. 2021. Cystic Fibrosis - Support Groups. Medindia, viewed May 18, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cystic-fibrosis-support-groups.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Pediatrician for your problem? Ask your question
11 years experience
Shri Mallikarjuna Newborn and Child Clinic, Vijayanagar
9 years experience
Apollo speciality hospital, Vanagaram