Cow's Milk-Retracing Footsteps In Time
Although very difficult to ascertain documents suggest that the practice of drinking cow’s milk is ancient, calculated as old as 6,000 – 8,000 B.C. Milk and other dairy products were so highly valued in ancient Egypt that only the very wealthy could afford to consume them. Beginning in the 5th century A.D., the milk of cows and sheep began to be especially prized in Europe, but it wasn’t until the 14th century that the demand for cow’s milk began to outpace that of milk from sheep.
Dairy cows did not make an appearance in America until the early 17th century, when they were brought over from Europe. Milk pasteurization began in the very late 19th century, although it wasn’t until the mid-20th century that a more refined technique, ultra-high temperature pasteurization, was introduced.
Cow’s Milk Allergy
Allergy to cow’s milk is a common food allergy seen in some people especially in infants and young children. The most common symptoms of cow’s milk allergy can range from mild to severe such as wheezing, vomiting, itching, swelling of lips or tongue, skin rash, dizziness, nasal congestion and digestive problems. Sometimes, milk allergy can also cause anaphylaxis, a life threatening reaction.
Milk, producer, fluid, 3.7% milkfat
|Calcium, Ca||119 mg||11.9 %|
|Copper, Cu||0.01 mg||0.5 %|
|Iron, Fe||0.05 mg||0.28 %|
|Magnesium, Mg||13 mg||3.25 %|
|Manganese, Mn||0 mg||0.2 %|
|Phosphorus, P||93 mg||9.3 %|
|Potassium, K||151 mg||4.31 %|
|Selenium, Se||2 mcg||2.86 %|
|Sodium, Na||49 mg||2.04 %|
|Zinc, Zn||0.38 mg||2.53 %|
|Vitamin A||138 IU||2.76 %|
|Vitamin C||1.5 mg||2.5 %|
|Vitamin B6||0.04 mg||2.1 %|
|Riboflavin||0.16 mg||9.47 %|
|Thiamin||0.04 mg||2.53 %|
|Folate, DFE||5 mcg||1.25 %|
|Niacin||0.08 mg||0.42 %|
|Fiber||0 g||0 %|
|Cholesterol||14 mg||4.67 %|
|View all +|
Latest Publications and Research on Cows Milk
- Genome-wide association study on Fourier transform infrared milk spectra for two Danish dairy cattle breeds. - Published by PubMed
- Prevalence and characterisation of methicillin-resistant staphylococci from bovine bulk tank milk in England and Wales. - Published by PubMed
- Small-Molecule Inhibitors of Inward Rectifier Potassium (Kir) Channels Reduce Bloodmeal Feeding and Have Insecticidal Activity Against the Horn Fly (Diptera: Muscidae). - Published by PubMed
- Metagenomic analysis exploring taxonomic diversity of rumen microbial communities in Vechur and crossbred cattle of Kerala state, India. - Published by PubMed
- In vivo model to study the impact of genetic variation on clinical outcome of mastitis in uniparous dairy cows. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2018, February 14). Cow's Milk-Retracing Footsteps In Time. Medindia. Retrieved on May 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cowsmilk.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Cow's Milk-Retracing Footsteps In Time". Medindia. May 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cowsmilk.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Cow's Milk-Retracing Footsteps In Time". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cowsmilk.htm. (accessed May 28, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Cow's Milk-Retracing Footsteps In Time. Medindia, viewed May 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cowsmilk.htm.
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
30 years experience
Pro Health Diet Clinic, Sector 37-C
7 years experience