Restenosis could occur following a
Some factors that increase the patients risk for developing complications during angioplasty procedure are:
- Older age
- Female sex
- Presence of multiple clots in a single or multiple arteries
- Diabetes, congestive heart failure or left ventricular dysfunction in the patient
- Clots affecting the left main or an equivalent coronary artery
- Inadequate antiplatelet therapy
- Unstable angina pectoris i.e. angina occurring even at rest
- Angioplasty done immediately following thrombolytic therapy i.e. drugs administered to break down the clot
Complications of coronary angioplasty include:
- Abrupt block of the artery: This could occur if the artery goes into spasm, gets blocked by a blood clot or if the artery is damaged by the catheter. It may result in a heart attack during the procedure and require an emergency bypass surgery.
- Perforation of the artery may occur rarely
- Restenosis of the artery could occur, requiring a repeat procedure.
- Other complications of angioplasty include stroke, damage to the kidneys caused by the dye used during angiography, and bleeding and infection at the entry site of the catheter on the skin.
- Death could occur due to heart failure or occlusion of the coronary artery.
- Harrisons Principles of Internal Medicine 17th edition
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2016, March 12). Coronary Angioplasty Complications. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/coronary-balloon-angioplasty-complications.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Coronary Angioplasty Complications". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/coronary-balloon-angioplasty-complications.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Coronary Angioplasty Complications". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/coronary-balloon-angioplasty-complications.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Coronary Angioplasty Complications. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/coronary-balloon-angioplasty-complications.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Cardiologist for your problem? Ask your question
21 years experience
Apoorva Superspeciality Medical Centre, Jayanagar
5 years experience
Wockhardt Hospital in Nashik, Renuka Nagar