A corneal ulcer (ulcerative keratitis/eyesore) is an open sore on the cornea.
The cornea is the window through which we see the world. It is the clear and round front part of the eye through which light passes. Damage to the cornea due to inflammation or injury produces an ulcer.
The ulcer can either be located in-
- The centre of the cornea, where it greatly affects the vision
- In the periphery, where it does not affect the vision very much
If left untreated, a corneal ulcer or infection can permanently damage the cornea. An untreated corneal ulcer may also result in perforation of the eye and introduction infection, increasing the risk of permanent visual impairment.
Corneal ulcer can occur due to vitamin A deficiency, infections of the eye, small tears on the cornea, chemical burns, extended use of contact lenses, dry eyes or ocular herpes. The ulcer can be extremely painful presenting with a white or gray spot on the cornea, red eye, swollen eyelids, excessive watering of the eye, pus discharge and blurry vision. Treatment of corneal ulcers and infections depends upon the cause. Corneal ulcer should be treated as soon as possible to prevent further injury to the cornea and alteration of vision.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 26). Corneal Ulcer - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 01, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/corneal-ulcer.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Corneal Ulcer - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. Dec 01, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/corneal-ulcer.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Corneal Ulcer - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/corneal-ulcer.htm. (accessed Dec 01, 2023).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2014. Corneal Ulcer - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia, viewed Dec 01, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/corneal-ulcer.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Corneal Ulcer
- Corneal Ulcer Treated with 0.66% Nanoemulsion Povidone-Iodine: A Case Report. - Published by PubMed
- Concomitant Orbital Tumours: Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma Involving the Lacrimal Gland of a Patient with Clinical Diagnoses of Muir-Torre Syndrome and Extensive Sebaceous Gland Carcinoma of the Ipsilateral Eyelid. - Published by PubMed
- Comparison of the Clinical Efficacy of Boston Keratoprosthesis Type I and Repetitive Penetrating Keratoplasty for Refractory Keratopathy. - Published by PubMed
- [Orbital Amyloidosis - Comparison of Two Different Clinical Courses]. - Published by PubMed
- Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography in the Early Management of Microbial Keratitis: A Cross-Sectional Study. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Ophthalmologist for your problem? Ask your question
17 years experience
Shree Ramakrishna Netralaya , Vashi, Navi Mumbai
6 years experience
Olive Christian Hospital and Research Centre, Dimapur
32 years experience
10 years experience
Shantived Institute of Medical Sciences, Sikandra, Agra