Frequently Asked Questions1. How will Vitamin A deficiency cause corneal ulcers?
Vitamin A deficiency causes corneal swelling and reduced sensitivity leading to an unhealthy cornea which results in corneal ulcers.
2. How will corneal ulcer cause cataract?
If a perforation occurs due to a corneal ulcer in the center of the cornea, the lens remains in contact with the ulcer. This results in loss of transparency of the lens and over a period of time, it develops cataract.
3. What is the prognosis of corneal ulcer?
The prognosis of corneal ulcer with respect to vision depends on the extent of damage. Sometimes, despite early detection and management, some cases of corneal ulcers might require surgery.
4. How can corneal ulcer be prevented?
Some ways to prevent a corneal ulcer are:
- Seek medical attention immediately for any eye symptoms.
- Wear eye protection if you are exposed to small particles that can enter your eye.
- Use contact lenses safely.
5. How should I take proper care of my contact lenses to prevent corneal ulcer?
If you wear contact lenses, be extremely careful about the way you clean and wear them.
- Always wash your hands before handling the contact lenses.
- Never use saliva to lubricate the lenses, because your mouth contains bacteria that can harm your cornea.
- Remove your contact lenses from your eyes every night and carefully clean them.
- Never use tap water to clean your lenses.
- Never sleep with your contact lenses in your eyes.
- Store the lenses in disinfecting solutions in the case overnight.
- Remove your lenses whenever your eyes are irritated and leave them out until you feel better.
- Regularly clean the contact lens case.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 26). Corneal Ulcer - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia. Retrieved on May 21, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/corneal-ulcer-faq.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Corneal Ulcer - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. May 21, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/corneal-ulcer-faq.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Corneal Ulcer - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/corneal-ulcer-faq.htm. (accessed May 21, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Corneal Ulcer - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia, viewed May 21, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/corneal-ulcer-faq.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Ophthalmologist for your problem? Ask your question
17 years experience
Shree Ramakrishna Netralaya , Manpada Dombivili east
10 years experience
Shantived Institute of Medical Sciences, Sikandra