How is cord blood collected and stored?
Collection of Cord Blood
- 250 ml of cord blood is collected in 'anticoagulant containing collection bags'.
- In utero collection - Blood is collected when the placenta is still in-utero. Increased volume of blood is collected by this procedure.
- Ex-utero collection - After child birth, the utero detaches from the placenta and the cord blood collected from the placenta.
- The cord blood collected should be processed within 48 hours after collection
- Red cells are removed
- Cord blood is stored in Liquid nitrogen freezer.