Conjunctivitis | Pink Eye - Treatment
Treatment of Pink Eye or Conjunctivitis varies depending on the cause. When treating allergic and chemical forms of conjunctivitis, the cause of the allergy or irritation must first be removed. For the allergic type, cool compresses and artificial tears sometimes relieve discomfort in mild cases. In more severe cases, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications and antihistamines may be prescribed. Some patients with persistent allergic conjunctivitis may also require topical steroid drops. Bacterial conjunctivitis is usually treated with antibiotic eye drops or ointments. Symptoms of viral conjunctivitis can be relieved with cool compresses and artificial tears. For the worst cases, topical steroid drops may be prescribed to reduce the discomfort from inflammation.
Although many kinds of conjunctivitis | Pink Eye are hard to prevent, there are measures that can be taken to decrease your risk of reacquiring or spreading it to someone else.
- Avoid exposure to the irritants which may be causing the conjunctivitis.
- Wear protective goggles (i.e., for swimming or working) if you must be exposed to chemicals which are irritating.
- Do not use medication (eye drops, ointment, etc.) which has been prescribed for someone else.
- Do not share eye makeup or cosmetics of any kind with someone else.
- Avoid sharing washcloths, towels or pillowcases with anyone else, and wash these items after each use.
- Do not reuse handkerchiefs (using a tissue is best).
- Wash your hands frequently, and avoid touching or rubbing your eyes.
- Left-over prescription eye drops or ointments should not be used for treating "Pink Eye".
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2016, December 16). Conjunctivitis | Pink Eye - Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on May 23, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/conjunctivitis_treatment.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Conjunctivitis | Pink Eye - Treatment". Medindia. May 23, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/conjunctivitis_treatment.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Conjunctivitis | Pink Eye - Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/conjunctivitis_treatment.htm. (accessed May 23, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Conjunctivitis | Pink Eye - Treatment. Medindia, viewed May 23, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/conjunctivitis_treatment.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Ophthalmologist for your problem? Ask your question
17 years experience
Shree Ramakrishna Netralaya , Manpada Dombivili east
10 years experience
Shantived Institute of Medical Sciences, Sikandra