Symptoms and Signs
A patient suffering from Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) may suffer from symptoms of bleeding, seizures and coma.
A patient develops the infection 2 to 9 days after being exposed to the CCHF virus. The patient shows the following symptoms and signs:
- He may show generalsymptoms like high fever, headache, joint and muscle aches, nausea, stomach pain and loose motions.
- He may have low blood pressure and slow heart rate. He may breathe fast and show features of sore throat or sore eyes.
- He may show redness of skin or skin rash.
- Bleeding occurs between the third and fifth day of the illness. The patient may show small or large bleeding spots under the skin and mucus membranes including the eyes. The patient may vomit out blood. He may pass blood in the urine and stools. Bleeding may also take place from the nose and gums. Female patients may show excessive bleeding during periods. The patient may develop complications like disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) and shock.
- The patient may be delirious, suffer from seizures or go into coma.
- Spleen and liver may be increased in size in some patients. The patient may develop jaundice.
- The patient may show a decrease in urine output and may suffer from kidney failure.
The patient may start recovering 10 to 20 days after the start of illness in case he survives the infection.
- Masoud Mardani, Maryam Keshtkar-Jahromi. Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever. Archives of Iranian Medicine 2007; 10 (2): 204 – 214.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2021, July 28). Congo Fever-Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever-Symptoms and Signs. Medindia. Retrieved on May 25, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congo-fever-symptoms-signs.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Congo Fever-Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever-Symptoms and Signs". Medindia. May 25, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congo-fever-symptoms-signs.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Congo Fever-Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever-Symptoms and Signs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congo-fever-symptoms-signs.htm. (accessed May 25, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Congo Fever-Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever-Symptoms and Signs. Medindia, viewed May 25, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congo-fever-symptoms-signs.htm.