Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) can be prevented by avoiding tick bites. Adequate precaution should be taken when coming in contact with infected patients or animals.
The following precautions may be followed to prevent spread of CCHV:
- People exposed to domestic animals or those undergoing activities like hiking should wear protective gear in situations that could result in tick bites. These include using permethrin-impregnated clothing, wearing high boots with trousers tucked in, wearing light-colored clothes to identify ticks easily and using insect repellants like DEET on exposed skin. The skin should be regularly inspected for ticks.
- Hospitals should take all precautions to prevent infection among patients. Suspected or diagnosed patients should be kept in isolation.
- Hospital staff should protect themselves from the infection. They should wear gowns, gloves, surgical masks and protection for the eyes especially when they encounter severely ill patients.
- Hospital staff as well as people that have been exposed to the infected patient may need to take ribavarin to prevent infection.
- Masoud Mardani, Maryam Keshtkar-Jahromi. Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever. Archives of Iranian Medicine 2007; 10 (2): 204 – 214.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2021, July 28). Congo Fever - Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) -Prevention. Medindia. Retrieved on May 16, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congo-fever-prevention.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Congo Fever - Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) -Prevention". Medindia. May 16, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congo-fever-prevention.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Congo Fever - Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) -Prevention". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congo-fever-prevention.htm. (accessed May 16, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Congo Fever - Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) -Prevention. Medindia, viewed May 16, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congo-fever-prevention.htm.