Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctors treat compound fractures?

An orthopedic surgeon treats compound fractures. Depending upon the severity of the injury other specialists like vascular surgeon or plastic surgeon may be also be involved in the treatment.

2. What is the treatment of choice for compound fractures?

Compound fractures require urgent treatment to clean the area of injury of any infective material, and surgery to stabilize the fractured bones. Debriding and irrigating the wound decreases the risk of infection.

3. What are the complications associated with compound fractures?

Complications associated with compound fractures include infection including bone infection, delayed healing, and a build-up of pressure within muscles that could result in tissue damage.

Most Popular on Medindia