COPD includes respiratory tract disorders which cause obstruction to airflow. These are:
- Emphysema: Emphysema is a condition where the lung sacs or alveoli lose their elasticity and are enlarged
- Chronic Bronchitis: Chronic bronchitis is a condition where the bronchi are inflamed, resulting in cough and phlegm (thick mucus secretion from the respiratory tract) production
- Small airway disease: Small airway disease is a condition where the small airways or bronchioles are narrowed
The patient is diagnosed using tests called pulmonary function tests. Other tests like measurement of blood gases, chest x-ray, CT scan and measurement of alpha-1 antitrypsin levels are also used in diagnosing COPD.
The patient is treated using drugs that widen the air passages like tiotropium and salmeterol, other drugs like corticosteroids and theophylline, and oxygen. Surgery including lung transplantation may be required in some cases. The patient should be strongly advised to quit smoking.
What is New in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)?
1. Measles during Childhood May Up COPD Risk in Middle-ageMeasles during early childhood can increase the risk of developing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in middle age. Measles also known as morbilli or rubeola or red measles, is a highly contagious viral disease caused by a virus belonging to paramyxovirus family. It causes upper respiratory symptoms, fever and rash.Read More..
References1. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine 17th edition
2. Ján Tkác, S. F. Paul Man and Don D. Sin. Systemic consequences of COPD. Ther Adv Respir Dis (2007) 1(1) 47–59.
Latest Publications and Research on Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary DiseaseChronic Cigarette Smoke Exposure Subdues PP2A Activity by Enhancing Expression of the Oncogene CIP2A. - Published by PubMed
Nutritional care in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. - Published by PubMed
Silicosis in Switzerland. - Published by PubMed
Benefits and costs of home pedometer assisted physical activity in patients with COPD. A preliminary randomized controlled trial. - Published by PubMed
Changes in the Burden of Comorbidities in Patients with COPD and Asthma-COPD Overlap According to the GOLD 2017 Recommendations. - Published by PubMed