What is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is produced by the body (liver) and is structurally a combination of lipid (fat) and steroid. It is an important part of the outer lining of cells in mammals and is essential for normal body functioning.
The word ‘cholesterol’ comes from the Greek word ‘chole’, meaning ‘bile’ and ‘stereos’, meaning ‘solid’.
Cholesterol is found in all body cells. It is an important part of a healthy body because it is a constituent of cell membranes and some hormones, and serves several body functions.
The liver produces about 80% of cholesterol present in the body and rest comes from dietary sources including meat, poultry, fish and dairy products. Dietary cholesterol is absorbed from the intestine and stored in the liver and secreted when it is needed by the body.
Cholesterol is carried in the blood by the lipoproteins-
- LDL (low density lipoprotein)
- HDL (high density lipoprotein)
The target serum cholesterol level should be under 5mmol/liter. A high level of cholesterol in the blood is called hypercholesterolemia. It is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease and stroke. Certain lifestyle modifications and medicines can help lower the elevated blood cholesterol levels.
What is New in Cholesterol?
Most people with severe elevations in cholesterol are not treated with appropriate drugs. Less than 40 percent receive treatment, despite many screening and awareness programs. Elevation of LDL cholesterol can be treated with optimal drugs, lifestyle changes and management of other risk factors.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2019, December 19). Cholesterol - Lipoproteins - Functions - Normal Blood Cholesterol Levels - Causes - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Nov 30, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cholesterol.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Cholesterol - Lipoproteins - Functions - Normal Blood Cholesterol Levels - Causes - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. Nov 30, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cholesterol.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Cholesterol - Lipoproteins - Functions - Normal Blood Cholesterol Levels - Causes - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cholesterol.htm. (accessed Nov 30, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Cholesterol - Lipoproteins - Functions - Normal Blood Cholesterol Levels - Causes - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia, viewed Nov 30, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cholesterol.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Cholesterol
- [Impact of change of ideal cardiovascular behavior and related factors on healthy vascular aging]. - Published by PubMed
- Prognostic value of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in the elderly patients. - Published by PubMed
- Antihypertensive Effectiveness of Perindopril Arginine and Indapamide Single-Pill Combination According to Body Mass Index: Findings from the FORSAGE Study. - Published by PubMed
- A potent risk model for predicting new-onset acute coronary syndrome in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Northwest China. - Published by PubMed
- Relationship of Established Cardiovascular Risk Factors and Peripheral Biomarkers on Cognitive Function in Adults at Risk of Cognitive Deterioration. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
1 year experience
15 years experience
7 years experience
5 years experience