Last Updated on Apr 07, 2015

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult for my child to rule out choanal atresia?

If your child was not diagnosed with choanal atresia at the time of birth but you have cause to suspect that the condition may be present, it would be a good idea to consult a pediatrician or a pediatric otolaryngologist/pediatric ENT specialist.

2. Is surgery really necessary and is there nothing I can do at home?

Surgery is the only effective treatment for the problem, but it will only be recommended if necessary. It is important that you follow the recommendations of your health care provider, especially if surgery is being recommended as an emergency procedure. In situations where there is no immediate threat to the child, you can delay the surgery and consult with other pediatric specialists. The recommendation is however unlikely to change.

Most Popular on Medindia