Symptoms of Chlamydia Trachomatis
- The bacteria live in vaginal fluid and in semen.
- Symptoms usually appear within 1 to 3 weeks after being infected.
- The symptoms vary from an abnormal discharge (mucus or pus) from the vagina or penis or experience of pain while urinating.
- These early symptoms may be very mild.
- In woman it can cause infertility
- The most common site of infection in women is the cervix (the mouth of the uterus).
- The infection in women mostly goes unnoticed, with upto 80% of infection being asymptomatic, the symptoms when present include:
- Vaginal Discharge
- Post-coital Bleed
- Intermenstrual bleeding
- Lower abdominal pain
- The infection may spread to involve the fallopian tubes ovaries and other adjoining structures if it is not treated, it may then cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).
- Kumar & Clark - Clinical Medicine - (W.B.Saunders- 5th Edition)
- Oxford Handbook Of Clinical Medicine - (5th Edition)
- Online Publication Of NIAID is a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Vivekanand. (2021, July 28). Symptoms of Chlamydia Trachomatis. Medindia. Retrieved on May 27, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chlamydiatrachomatis_symptoms.htm.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Symptoms of Chlamydia Trachomatis". Medindia. May 27, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chlamydiatrachomatis_symptoms.htm>.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Symptoms of Chlamydia Trachomatis". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chlamydiatrachomatis_symptoms.htm. (accessed May 27, 2022).
Dr. Vivekanand. 2021. Symptoms of Chlamydia Trachomatis. Medindia, viewed May 27, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chlamydiatrachomatis_symptoms.htm.
Do you wish to consult an expert for your problem? Ask your question
37 years experience
Abhisarika Counseling Center, Motinagar
30 years experience
Kaya Kalp International Sex And Health Clinics, Dadar West
+ 1 more