Prevention and Treatment for Chlamydia Trachomatis
- Condoms reduce the chances of getting chlamydia or giving it to the partner during sexual intercourse.
- The best way to avoid spread of STD's is to avoid sexual contact during the time of infection.
- If an infection is suspected despite there being no symptoms; it is best to take a complete course of antibiotics as prescribed by the doctor.
- Inform partners about the infection and advice them also to seek opinion of their doctor.
- A Pregnant women should routinely undergo a screening test for Chlamydia.
One should see a doctor immediately if experiencing any genital discomfort like burning while urinating or if there is any discharge.
- A course of Tetracyclines or its derivatives Doxycycline is the preferred antibiotic of choice to treat the infection.
- Tetracyclines are contraindicated in pregnant women. So the doctor may prescribe erythromycin, doxycycline or amoxicillin.
- Kumar & Clark - Clinical Medicine - (W.B.Saunders- 5th Edition)
- Oxford Handbook Of Clinical Medicine - (5th Edition)
- Online Publication Of NIAID is a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.