Diagnosis of Chlamydia Trachomatis
- Cell culture techniques are considered as the 'gold standard' among all the tests. But as they are expensive and need specialists to handle the tests, they are not so readily done.
- In men the first sample of urine must be collected for testing or the early urethral swabs is taken.
- In women the 'cervical swabs' are collected which usually has the best specimens of bacteria.
- The samples are examined under a microscope.
- Urine samples are not generally preferred in women as they are not too reliable.
- There are several types of indirect diagnostic test done though none of them confirm diagnosis, which could include:
- Direct fluorescent antibody
- Enzyme immunoassays
- Nucleic acid amplification.
- Kumar & Clark - Clinical Medicine - (W.B.Saunders- 5th Edition)
- Oxford Handbook Of Clinical Medicine - (5th Edition)
- Online Publication Of NIAID is a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.