Complications of Chlamydia Trachomatis
The complications are few and are quite rare, but when they occur they usually are as follows:
- PID can cause scarring of the fallopian tubes, which can block the tubes and prevent fertilization from taking place.
- Many women become infertile because of PID.
When this happens, the egg may attach itself to the fallopian tube. This condition is called as tubal or ectopic pregnancy.
- This very serious condition results in a miscarriage and can cause death of the mother due to the rupture of the narrow tube and bleeding.
3. Infertility - Complications in men are rare and may sometimes cause sterility.
4. Urethritis & Strictures of urethra - Infection of the urine pipe called urethra lead to inflammation and itf untreated can lead to narrowing or blockage of the passage ( called stricture).
5. Epidydimitis in men is a complication due to the inflammation of epididymis (part of the testis), which are characterised by pain and swelling in the scrotal areas.
- Kumar & Clark - Clinical Medicine - (W.B.Saunders- 5th Edition)
- Oxford Handbook Of Clinical Medicine - (5th Edition)
- Online Publication Of NIAID is a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.