Complications of Childhood Obesity
Overweight and obesity are major risks for long and short term health. It is a network of a plethora of complications. The complications can be as follows:
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Eating disorders such as bulimia, binge eating
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Sleep apnoea – a condition which causes difficult breathing when sleeping which leads to poor quality of sleep.
- Liver and respiratory problems
- Low self esteem, depression, anxiety and emotional problems.
- Social rejection
- Lee WWR. An overview of pediatric obesity. Pediatric Diabetes. 2007; 8 (Suppl. 9)
- Kumud Khanna. Nutrition and Weight management In Textbook of Nutrition and Dietetics. New Delhi: India; 2001.
- Childhood overweight and obesity - (http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/childhood/en/)
- American Obesity Association. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Childhood Overweight".
- Kumar S, Mahabalaraju DK, Anoop MS. Prevalence of Obesity and its Influencing factor among Affluent School Children of Davangere City. Indian Journal of Community Medicine. 2007;32(1)
- Raj M, Sundaram, KR, Paul M, Deepa AS, Krishna Kumar, R. Obesity in Indian children: Time trends and relationship. The National Medical Journal of India. 2007;20(6)
- Singh M, Sharma M. Risk Factors for obesity in children. Indian Pediatrics. 2005; 42(17)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Maulishree Jhawer. (2020, August 20). Complications of Childhood Obesity. Medindia. Retrieved on May 29, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/childhood-obesity-complications.htm.
Maulishree Jhawer. "Complications of Childhood Obesity". Medindia. May 29, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/childhood-obesity-complications.htm>.
Maulishree Jhawer. "Complications of Childhood Obesity". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/childhood-obesity-complications.htm. (accessed May 29, 2022).
Maulishree Jhawer. 2021. Complications of Childhood Obesity. Medindia, viewed May 29, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/childhood-obesity-complications.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Pediatrician for your problem? Ask your question
9 years experience
Apollo speciality hospital, Vanagaram