Treatment for Chest Pain
In some cases the treatment for chest pain begins even before the diagnosis because chest pain is treated as an emergency and there is simply no time to waste. If the doctor suspects angina, the patient is treated with the necessary medications even as the patient is waiting for the test results.
If the diagnosis reveals atherosclerotic plaques then smaller doses of aspirin and statins (lowers cholesterol) may be administered. Those with microvascular dysfunction are given angiotensin-converting inhibitors (ACE) and L – arginine. The latter is an amino acid that is administered to enhance blood flow in the arteries.
Studies have revealed that a testosterone boost will help to relieve angina in men.
If the chest pain is due to an injury to the chest wall or due to excessive strain such as coughing, then the patient can try taking acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve the tension in the affected area. Cold or hot compression and rest can also be tried.
If the chest pain is due to a flare up of an existing condition then the patient needs to follow the doctor’s prior instructions.
- Chest Pain or Discomfort - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK416/)
- Gender Matters: Heart Disease Risk in Women - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/gender-matters-heart-disease-risk-in-women)
- Chest Pain - Children - (https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/c/chest)
- Angina (Chest Pain) - (https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-attack/angina-chest-pain)
- Musculoskeletal Chest Wall Pain - (https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2015/august/musculoskeletal-chest-wall-pain/)
- Angina and Other Causes of Chest Pain - (http://www.secondscount.org/heart-condition-centers/info-detail-2/whats-causing-your-chest-pain-2#.XiWSKMgzbIU )
- Other Conditions May be Causes of Chest Pain - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/other-conditions-may-be-causes-of-chest-pain)
- Chest pain - (https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/chest-pain)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2020, January 25). Treatment for Chest Pain. Medindia. Retrieved on May 24, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chestpain_treatment.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Treatment for Chest Pain". Medindia. May 24, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chestpain_treatment.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Treatment for Chest Pain". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chestpain_treatment.htm. (accessed May 24, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Treatment for Chest Pain. Medindia, viewed May 24, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chestpain_treatment.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Cardiologist for your problem? Ask your question
21 years experience
Apoorva Superspeciality Medical Centre, Jayanagar
5 years experience
Wockhardt Hospital in Nashik, Renuka Nagar