Diagnosis of Chest Pain
When a patient presents with chest pain the possibilities for different diagnoses are present. There is a need to correctly assess the nature of the chest pain in order to give the best treatment possible.
Differential diagnosis is a method of evaluation used by the doctors to consider a potential diagnosis and then to eliminate it after suitable assessment. The first step toward evaluating chest pain is to rule out heart attack (myocardial infarction), pulmonary embolus, and aortic dissection. Towards this the medical history is documented by putting forward necessary questions to the patient.
Rapid diagnosis of heart problem is necessary to rule out potential heart damage.
If life-threatening reasons are ruled out then the patient is observed for a while and referred back to the physician. In case of chronic and recurrent chest pain the primary suspect is angina arising from Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). It is important to take angina seriously as this could indicate CAD- a disease that could lead to a heart attack, stroke or even death.
Some of the common diagnostic tests that may be carried out to detect the causes of chest pain include:
- Chest Pain or Discomfort - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK416/)
- Gender Matters: Heart Disease Risk in Women - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/gender-matters-heart-disease-risk-in-women)
- Chest Pain - Children - (https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/c/chest)
- Angina (Chest Pain) - (https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-attack/angina-chest-pain)
- Musculoskeletal Chest Wall Pain - (https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2015/august/musculoskeletal-chest-wall-pain/)
- Angina and Other Causes of Chest Pain - (http://www.secondscount.org/heart-condition-centers/info-detail-2/whats-causing-your-chest-pain-2#.XiWSKMgzbIU )
- Other Conditions May be Causes of Chest Pain - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/other-conditions-may-be-causes-of-chest-pain)
- Chest pain - (https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/chest-pain)