Causes of Chest Pain
Some individuals suffer from intense discomfort or chest pain due to gas build up.
Hence the exact reasons of chest pain must be identified.
Some of the causes for chest pain include those listed below:
- Heart attack
- Angina due to coronary artery spasm or due to cardiac syndrome X
- Mitral valve prolapse
- Pericarditis (inflammation of heart tissues)
- Aortic dissection or tear in the inner lining of the aorta which can cause internal bleeding
- Aortic valve disease
- Spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lung)
- Blood clot within the lung (pulmonary embolism)
- Inflammation of the lung lining (pleurisy)
- Gastroesophagal reflux (GERD) or Heartburn
- Perforated viscus (a hole or tear in the wall of the GI tract)
- Ulcer in the stomach
- Esophagitis or inflammation in the esophagus
- Esophageal spasms
Gall bladder problems cause chest pain after a heavy meal
- Inflammation/strain of the muscles and /or tendons located between the ribs
- Inflammation in the joints where the ribs meet the sternum or breast bone (costochondritis)
- Splenic flexure syndrome
- Thyroid disease
- Exercising after eating
Of these, angina, aortic dissection, pulmonary embolism and spontaneous pneumothorax are potentially life- threatening condition that may require an urgent hospitalization.(6✔ ✔Trusted Source
Angina and Other Causes of Chest Pain
Go to source),(7✔ ✔Trusted Source
Other Conditions may be Causes of Chest Pain
Go to source)
- Chest Pain or Discomfort - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK416/)
- Gender Matters: Heart Disease Risk in Women - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/gender-matters-heart-disease-risk-in-women)
- Chest Pain - Children - (https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/c/chest)
- Angina (Chest Pain) - (https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-attack/angina-chest-pain)
- Musculoskeletal Chest Wall Pain - (https://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2015/august/musculoskeletal-chest-wall-pain/)
- Angina and Other Causes of Chest Pain - (http://www.secondscount.org/heart-condition-centers/info-detail-2/whats-causing-your-chest-pain-2#.XiWSKMgzbIU )
- Other Conditions May be Causes of Chest Pain - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/other-conditions-may-be-causes-of-chest-pain)
- Chest pain - (https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/chest-pain)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2020, January 25). Causes of Chest Pain. Medindia. Retrieved on May 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chestpain_causes.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Causes of Chest Pain". Medindia. May 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chestpain_causes.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Causes of Chest Pain". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chestpain_causes.htm. (accessed May 26, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Causes of Chest Pain. Medindia, viewed May 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/chestpain_causes.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Cardiologist for your problem? Ask your question
21 years experience
Apoorva Superspeciality Medical Centre, Jayanagar
5 years experience
Wockhardt Hospital in Nashik, Renuka Nagar