Causes of Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral palsy can be identified early when parents or caregivers are aware of the risk factors causing the condition.
Many times, the cause of cerebral palsy in an individual is not identified. However, some of the risk factors can be listed and looked out to identify the early signs of cerebral palsy or even prevent the condition.
- Any condition hindering the development of brain in the fetus.
- Infections during pregnancy like rubella, cytomegalovirus and toxoplasmosis.
- Breech birth.
- Respiratory problems or oxygen deprivation just after birth.
- Premature birth or low birth weight.
- Malformations of the nervous system such as microcephaly, spina bifida or groin hernias.
- Being a part of twins or triplets.
- Epilepsy or seizures in the new born.
- Severe jaundice in the new born.
- Rh incompatibility between the mother and infant.
- Definition of Cerebral Palsy - (http://cerebralpalsy.org/about-cerebral-palsy/what-is-cerebral-palsy/)
- Types of Cerebral Palsy - (http://cerebralpalsy.org/about-cerebral-palsy/types/)
- Augmentative and alternative communication - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmentative_and_alternative_communication)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Himabindu Venkatakrishnan. (2014, May 12). Causes of Cerebral Palsy. Medindia. Retrieved on May 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/causes-of-cerebral-palsy.htm.
Himabindu Venkatakrishnan. "Causes of Cerebral Palsy". Medindia. May 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/causes-of-cerebral-palsy.htm>.
Himabindu Venkatakrishnan. "Causes of Cerebral Palsy". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/causes-of-cerebral-palsy.htm. (accessed May 26, 2022).
Himabindu Venkatakrishnan. 2021. Causes of Cerebral Palsy. Medindia, viewed May 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/causes-of-cerebral-palsy.htm.