Treatment and Prognosis of Cat Scratch Disease
Cat scratch disease is a self-limiting illness. Therefore, is not considered serious enough to warrant medical treatment except in severe cases or when it occurs in those with compromised immune system as in people with AIDS. In the case of the latter, antibiotics such as azithromycin can be helpful. The disease usually resolves in 2-3 months.
- Antipyretics and analgesics may be administered as required.
- Local heat may be applied on lymph nodes.
- Incision and drainage of fistula may leave scars. Avoid draining fistula.
- Aspiration of tender, fluctuant nodes can provide relief from pain.
- Antibiotics may be considered in severe cases.
- Catscratch disease can be effectively treated with Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, Gentamicin, Ciprofloxacin, and Rifampin. It must be noted that B henselae is resistant to penicillin, amoxicillin, and nafcillin
The prognosis for healthy patients with CSD is excellent and complete recovery can be expected with 2-3 months.
Persons with AIDS or other immune-compromising conditions, such as alcoholism may experience atypical manifestations of CSD including encephalitis and bacteremia. Treatment with Antibiotics administration and close monitoring are necessary for these individuals to be cured of CSD.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2014, July 19). Treatment and Prognosis of Cat Scratch Disease. Medindia. Retrieved on May 22, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cat-scratch-disease-treatment-and-prognosis.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Treatment and Prognosis of Cat Scratch Disease". Medindia. May 22, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cat-scratch-disease-treatment-and-prognosis.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Treatment and Prognosis of Cat Scratch Disease". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cat-scratch-disease-treatment-and-prognosis.htm. (accessed May 22, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Treatment and Prognosis of Cat Scratch Disease. Medindia, viewed May 22, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cat-scratch-disease-treatment-and-prognosis.htm.