Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a condition caused by increased pressure on the median nerve at the level of wrist.
Compression of median nerve at the level of wrist results in numbness, tingling, and pain in the arm, hand, and fingers. There is a space in the wrist, called the carpal tunnel which is approximately as wide as the thumb. When pressure gets built up in this tunnel, it compresses the nerve passing through (the median nerve) the tunnel and results in impairment of the normal functioning of hand and fingers owing to the pain and numbness. Several tendons and blood vessels also pass through this tunnel.
Median nerve is the most essential component of carpel tunnel. It provides sensation to thumb, index, and middle finger of the hand. Any condition which injures the flexor tendons of the forearm while passing through the carpal tunnel results in inflammation of the tendons further causing squeezing or irritation of this nerve resulting in carpal tunnel syndrome.
Medications like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are used to control pain. The Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be avoided by doing simple exercises.
Latest Publications and Research on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- MNT-DeepSL: Median nerve tracking from carpal tunnel ultrasound images with deep similarity learning and analysis on continuous wrist motions. - Published by PubMed
- Blood flow velocity but not tendon mechanics relates to nerve function in carpal tunnel syndrome patients. - Published by PubMed
- Clinical characteristics in patients with hereditary amyloidosis with Glu54Gln transthyretin identified in the Romanian population. - Published by PubMed
- Shearwave Elastography in the Differentiation of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Severity. - Published by PubMed
- Measuring the placebo effect in carpal tunnel syndrome. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Shivani Nayar. (2016, July 07). Carpal Tunnel Syndrome-Causes-Signs-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Prevention. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/carpal-tunnel-syndrome.htm.
Dr. Shivani Nayar. "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome-Causes-Signs-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Prevention". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/carpal-tunnel-syndrome.htm>.
Dr. Shivani Nayar. "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome-Causes-Signs-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Prevention". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/carpal-tunnel-syndrome.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Dr. Shivani Nayar. 2021. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome-Causes-Signs-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Prevention. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/carpal-tunnel-syndrome.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Orthopedic Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
18 years experience
Progressive Spine and orthopaedic , Near IGIMS